Concept architect rejoins £500m project that helped lose Liverpool its Unesco status
Everton FC has given architect Dan Meis a new role on the club’s £500m waterfront stadium more than a year after suggesting his work on the controversial 53,000-seat project had come to a “natural end”.
Club chairman Bill Kenwright said Meis’ new “guardianship role” would involve reviewing the technical construction specifications and engaging the compliance team ahead of each stage of development to ensure the original design concept remains in place throughout the build.
Concept architect Meis’ original designs for the stadium, at the grade II-listed Bramley-Moore Dock, were submitted for planning permission in 2019. A revised version of the scheme was given the green light by then housing secretary Robert Jenrick in March.
Construction work began on site in August for what contractor Laing O’Rourke estimates will be a three-year build. Kenwright announced Meis’ return on Friday.
“Dan has been an important part of our stadium journey so far and we are pleased he has accepted this new role,” he said.
“In working alongside both our in-house and external teams, Dan will be joining some of the best technical talents in the country throughout the exciting construction phase of the project.”
While Meis was responsible for the concept designs, sports specialist Pattern was brought in to help work up the proposals and took the scheme through planning. The practice was bought by BDP in July.
Global heritage watchdog Unesco said the stadium proposals were “completely unacceptable” a month before the body stripped Liverpool of its World Heritage Site status.
Unesco said the scheme would have a “major adverse impact on the authenticity and integrity” of the area and showed the city council’s “lack of commitment” in protecting the dock.