Chris Williamson said there was much to welcome in new planning rules

RIBA president Chris Williamson has warmly welcomed the government’s decision to introduce a default ‘yes’ approach to planning applications for homes near major transport hubs.

The WW+P co-founder said the revisions to the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), announced on Monday, represents a “significant shift towards a proactive and plan-led approach” to placemaking.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government said the new rules, which include minimum expectations for how much housing will be built in these areas, could unlock thousands of new homes around England’s train, tram and underground stations.

Chris Williamson Venice 2

RIBA president Chris Williamson

Williamson said there was “much to welcome” in the new NPPF, adding many of the changes reflected recommendations previously made to the government by RIBA.

“For decades, architects have been working to optimise the delivery of well-connected, strategically-designed places, and by linking new homes with infrastructure provision, transport and amenities, the government recognises that placemaking must go hand in hand with housing delivery.

“Requiring local plans to set out the proportion of new accessible homes on major developments is a positive step towards meeting future housing need, as are clear expectations for mixed-tenure delivery on large sites.”

Williamson also praised the government’s decision to allow local authorities to go above national standards on energy efficiency, describing it as an “important step”.

But he warned that the drive for new housing must not “come at the cost of quality” while reiterating RIBA’s call for city architects in early stages of development to ensure high quality outcomes.

The new NPPF also reduces blanket consultation requirements for planning decisions, with councils no longer needing sign off from public bodies where specialist advice is not needed.

Sport England will still advise on significant cases, while the Gardens Trust and Theatres Trust will still be notified of relevant applications.

MHCLG confirmed that there would be a 40% national minimum number of accessible homes on major developments - a policy previously described as a “significant step backwards” by campaigners.

The revised NPPF will also introduce new protections for pub and music venues, to protect them from conversion or demolition “without good reason”.

Topics