Architect picks up two housing projects for Hackney council
Mikhail Riches has won two separate competitions to design new council housing in Hackney.
The practice beat more than 50 competitors with its design for homes at Buckland Street in Hoxton, where three six-storey villa blocks will replace some council-owned garages.
It has also been appointed to design further homes on council land at nearby Wimbourne Street.
BBUK Landscape Architects is designing the landscaping around both projects in east London, with natural play areas for local children.
The practice, a former BD AYA Housing Architect of the Year, will begin consultation shortly with a view to submitting planning applications towards the end of the year.
Both projects are part of Hackney council’s housing supply programme to build more than 400 new homes on empty or underused council-owned. Across the programme 70% of new homes will be for social rent and shared ownership, paid for through outright sale of the remaining 30%.