Modernist architect Sigurd Lewerentz worked on the Swedish city’s cemetery for more than half a century. Now Johan Celsing has meticulously restored the canopies to two of its chapels
Project Canopies to the chapels of St Knut and St. Gertrud
Architects Sigurd Lewerentz, 1943; reconstruction by Johan Celsing Architects, 2015
Location Malmö, Sweden
The architectural and landscape works at the Eastern Cemetery on the north-eastern edge of Malmö are remarkable in that they covered virtually the entire career of Swedish architect Sigurd Lewerentz, spanning from the competition in 1916 until the completion of the flower kiosk in 1969. The competition was entered, and won, by Lewerentz alone, a year after his success at the Stockholm Woodland Cemetery in collaboration with Gunnar Asplund. Titled “Ridge”, the winning scheme accordingly ordered the landscape along an elevated plateau running east to west across the full length of the site. The design developed over the years, and with it the idea of a series of buildings located along this spine.
Only logged in subscribers have access to it.
Existing subscriber? LOGIN or
Subscribe for unlimited access to:
Alternatively REGISTER for free access on selected stories and sign up for email alerts