Port of London Authority raises concerns over navigable space and tide effects
The timetable to build a River Park on the north bank of the Thames has been set back following safety concerns raised by the Port of London Authority (PLA).
Last week the City of London was forced to delay a planning decision for Gensler’s proposed 1km walkway, and has taken the project off its November 15 agenda.
A spokesman for the London River Park said: “The revised timetable does mean that it will not be possible for the park to open for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in June.
“The delivery programme is presently being reviewed and a new target opening date will be announced in due course following consultation with stakeholders.
In a letter to City of London planners James Trimmer, PLA head of planning and partnerships, said it could not back the project until a number of concerns had been addressed.
These include the restriction of navigable space, tide effects, barge strikes, impact protection and how the park would affect operations at Walbrook Wharf.
The PLA letter said: “The scheme will increase the risk of collision through the concentration of traffic through the authorised channel and vessels taking evasive action to avoid collision with the application scheme or other river vessels”
Gensler launched images for the £60 million park late last month, with the scheme expected to be funded by revenue from exhibitions and corporate sponsored events on the park.
In September, Design Council Cabe criticised the design saying it was “not convinced that the detailed design… is appropriate to the character of the river”.